Wednesday 15 June 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Review #keepthesecrets


Well, where to start...

Before you begin reading, Please be aware there are NO 'Spoilers' in this review, I have only written about the theatrical experience.

All this began when I won tickets from the Friday Forty Lottery. Me and my dad have always had a love for the J.K. Rowling Harry Potter series of books. I have many fond memories of me and him reading them together when I was younger. I knew about the play the minute it was announced and have been waiting for tickets to go on sale but couldn't afford them. I was so desperate to take him for Fathers day and was over the moon when I got us tickets for £15 each per part right in the middle of the second row in the stalls (BB 18-19)!!

I really like how the whole experience is secretive. The story is told much more naturally because of how encouraged the audience are to #keepthesecrets! They even hand out badges at the end to help you remember!

PART 1: Saturday 11th June

The Story line is INCREDIBLE. It is clearly shown that J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany make an excellent team. It is full of clever twists and turns (and even some familiar faces!) that you would never expect. The auditorium is gorgeous. I really think it is the perfect place for the show, it is such a gothic setting with traditional features. The front of house staff are so nice and helpful. They genuinely want you to have a great time! One thing about the show that really stood out for me is the musical accompaniment (Composed by Imogen Heap). It is a more Modern/Contemporary soundtrack than the films but works so well with the Choreography (Movement Directed by Steven Hoggett). The casting of the show is wonderful. I have heard many different opinions on the fact that Hermione Granger (Noma Dumezweni) is Black. If you are doubting this incredible actress I would like to stop you right here. Noma gave one of the most brilliant portrayals of Hermione Granger, Every word she spoke I believed. If you have booked tickets then you will see what I mean hopefully very soon. Although Hermione, Ron (Paul Thornley) and Harry (Jamie Parker) were key roles in the show, I feel the main boys of the show were Albus Potter (Sam Clemmett) and Scorpius Malfoy (Anthony Boyle). The two boys were outstanding. After seeing them on stage, I went round to stage door to meet them and I can tell you they are the most down to earth actors I have met, they left no programme un-signed and no selfie un-taken! It was honestly one of the best nights of my life.

PART 2: Tuesday 14th June

I am writing this the day after seeing part two and I literally have no words. The story ends in the most perfect way, staying loyal to the novels. I really recommend not reading spoiler reviews or the script that comes out on 31st July if you're seeing the show relatively soon. The most brilliant part was that you had no idea what was going to happen. The movement and music again for part two was astounding. I did go to Stage Door again but this time it was absolutely jam-packed with people and there was a lot of pushing and shoving which I have to say was very upsetting to see. The idea of the Potter fandom is that everyone has each others backs. There was one girl who was practically climbing onto me to get her ticket signed. Although only a few cast members came out but again, Sam Clemmett and Anthony Boyle left no programme unsigned and no selfie un-taken and Anthony in particular really made an effort to chat to you which was really nice.

If you haven't got tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, don't worry! Even though the show is sold out until July 2017, you can still get the Script when it comes out on 31st July (if you're desperate to know the story) plus J.K. also pointed signs towards a Tour of the show. You can also enter the Friday Forty Lottery for £15 per part (During Previews) tickets in the front rows of the stalls!! (Trust me, it's as amazing as it sounds!)

Overall, I would rate this show 5 Stars. (If i could rate higher, I would)

No comments:

Post a Comment